It’s safe to say that fifty years ago let alone a decade ago no one would imagine two companies suing each other over devices that can deposit checks by taking a picture, download tunes from thin air, excuse me the cloud, and provide limitless options to help bring ease to our everyday life. According to Philip Grote from comScore, “45% of all mobile devices in use are smart phones.” There’s a reason they refer to them as such rather than witty-phones, although Apple’s iPhone 4S is equipped with a sense of humor. If you’ve experimented with Siri, you follow my drift.
These devices provide far more than a means of communication. Search is the number one function utilized on mobile devices, which outweighs e-mails and texting immensely. Not only are we attached to these as a baby is to its binky, but society has also chosen to adopt a second device, the tablet. I am guilty of such and I admit to owning two fruitful Apple devices, the iPhone and iPad. Both of these tech rectangles have helped to simplify my life, and I owe it all to the app store. With thousands of apps to choose from and new ones being created each and every day, I would like to share my top picks, which will bring simplicity and a sigh of relief to your over caffeinated life. I invite you to send comments or suggestions for any apps overlooked on this list.
The iPhone (other devices may offer these apps as well)
1. Evernote is the ultimate jam-packed to do list tool. It’s far more capable and satisfying than checking off a box. This app will sync wirelessly from all devices to your desktop, allow you to take screen captures, and the list goes on. Download it and thank me later.
2. Clear is the bare bones version of Evernote. If you are always on the go and in need of quick notes, this to do list app will be quite useful. It’s as simple as typing and reading. You can rank each item and it is color coded by importance. The most satisfying part of clear is finishing a task. Rather than checking a box you swipe across and the item disappears followed by a never disappointing “ding”.
3. Analytics pro is useful if you like staying up to date on your Google analytics. It will provide the data, charts, and statistics that make you as jittery as your morning dopio. That’s coffee jargon if you couldn’t follow.
4. Creative Whack Pack is for those moments our brains refuse to work the way we want them to. Every so often you find yourself staring at your computer screen until it pixelates. Well take a short break and stare at your phone while you flip through this app, which aims to kick start the creative in you.
5. Lastly I present to you shortcut. This app is so awesome that it merits a video description rather than a typed one.
The iPad (other devices may offer these apps as well)
1. Evernote reigns supreme and I find it necessary to have on both of my devices therefore it has solidified its place at number one in both categories.
2. Whether you like doodling or editing PDF’s for clients, you can do both and much more with Penultimate. Mark up a document and e-mail it directly to whomever you desire. This app is great and I am not surprised it is also from the makers of Evernote.
3. Being in an industry where we bill multiple clients for time I find it necessary to be exact and accurate. Not only is it moral, but this app allows me to never forget what I did yesterday. Hourstracker has simplified my time tracking and allows me to clock in and out of various jobs and enter comments or descriptions for when I bill my hours. Always be on time and make sure to keep track of it.
4. Dropbox is something we use on a daily basis to store immense documents or share folders with clients. Believe it or not, it is available on tablet devices and ooh does that sound sweet. Explore its capabilities and have a reason to bring work home with you.
5. Lastly sign “easy sign and fill” is a must if you are constantly signing any type of documentation. Whether it is proposals, or estimates, this app will allow you to read through the lines and auto fill your John Hancock. Just don’t sign your life away.